There are currently 1 billion web-sites on the World Wide Web
The World Wide Web (WWW) was created in 1990 by the British CERN physicist Tim Berners-Lee. On 30 April 1993, CERN announced that the World Wide Web would be free to use for anyone. The number of websites on the WWW has grown from 19,732 in August 1995, to 215 million in 2005, to currently 1 billion.
Every business should have a website – no exceptions. No matter what your industry, your business is only as good as your website. Your website will likely be your target markets first exposure to your business and must therefore be the best possible representation of your business. It takes only two seconds for a potential customer to decide whether to ‘buy in’ to your business or not.
The benefits of a website:
- Online brochure – A website functions as an online brochure, enabling your stakeholders to find out about your business quickly and easily.
- More customers – More than 2.4 billion people use the internet every day, and some 90% of those purchased something or contacted a company in 2015.
- Increases business value – Your business perception is determined by the quality of your website.
- Reputation – Customer reviews and case studies demonstrate credibility to the public.
- Operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- Provides low cost marketing.
- Allows the issue of online press releases about your business.
- Market research – A website allows a business to engage with and learn about potential and current customers.
A website cannot be developed and forgotten. It requires continual investment in time, money, and content to be effective.