Ongoing Employee Training and Development
Employee training and development is part of human resource management and is concerned with improving the performance of each individual employee and the business overall.
Training and development encompasses three main activities:
- Training – This activity is both focused upon, and evaluated against, the job that an individual currently holds.
- Education – This activity focuses upon the jobs that an individual may potentially hold in the future, and is evaluated against those jobs.
- Development – This activity focuses upon the activities that the individual may partake in the future.
The benefits of ongoing employee training and development include:
- Keeping up with industry change – For employees to be effective in their jobs they need to know and understand their industry intimately.
- Be in touch with all the latest technological developments – The latest technology can dramatically improve an employee’s productivity, output, and effectiveness. The latest ‘tools’ can make all the difference.
- Maintain knowledge and skills – Best practices are constantly changing and improving so employees need to be trained to access and benefit from this.
- Advance employee skills – This makes the employees more efficient and effective.
- Increase job satisfaction levels – Employee satisfaction, retention, and productivity have been shown to be higher when employees are trained and developed.
- Attract new talent – Employees today demand a career path, and training and development.
Employee training and development is not a business cost, it is a business investment.