Eight Pets That Can Be Tax Deductible
- Dogs on farms for rounding up sheep, cattle and other livestock.
- Fish at workplaces (office and factories).
- Birds at the workplace.
- Guard dogs at factories.
- Dogs and cats at workplaces (offices and factories) to improve employee morale, interaction, communication and stress levels.
- Chickens and ducks at a nursing home.
- Dogs guarding tradespersons’ tools on work sites from theft.
- Guinea pigs and rabbits at the office.
Generally, the purchase cost of the pet is capital and non-deductible. In contrast, the pet’s food, vet bills, bedding, cages, toys, etc, will be a tax-deductible business expense as the benefits of pets in the workplace are well documented.