Is my business green and why should I care?
Sustainable businesses or green businesses have minimal negative impact on the global or local environment, community, society, or economy while maintaining a profit. In general, a business is described as green if they incorporate principles of sustainability into each of its business decisions and are greener than traditional competition.
The benefits of becoming a green business include:
- More sales – a Nielsen study of consumer attitudes across 60 countries found that 55% of consumers worldwide would pay a premium for products offered by eco-friendly and socially responsible companies.
- Cost savings – efficiency saves money.
- Improved employee morale and commitment – by demonstrating a commitment to a healthy world environment, companies prove they care about their employees’ world as well.
- You can live your values.
Businesses can implement a wide range of green initiatives including:
- ‘Going paperless’ or sending electronic correspondence.
- Refurbishing used products and recyclable packaging.
- Installing their own solar panels to produce their own renewable energy.
- Changing light bulbs to LED lighting (which uses less electricity and lasts five times longer).
- Revising production processes in order to eliminate waste.
- Choosing nontoxic raw materials and processes.
- Doing business with green vendors.
- Buying energy efficient equipment.
- Changing to a 4-day work week and allowing some employees to work from home (this reduces employee transport costs which saves energy)