Dogs can be a legitimate tax deduction when used for work or business purposes.
The top 10 working dog breeds are:
- Labrador Retriever – commonly used as service dogs and therapy dogs.
- German Shepherd – used for police, military, and guarding work places.
- Border Collie – commonly used for herding and controlling sheep.
- Belgian Malinoi – used for service work, police work, and search and rescue.
- Golden Retriever – talented retrievers and hunting companions.
- Great Pyrenees – sheep dog.
- Giant Schnauzer – trained for police work.
- Samoyed – bred to hunt, herd, pull sleds, and track prey.
- Siberian Husky – bred to pull the sleds of Siberian nomads.
- Bloodhound – used for hunting (their skilled noses allow them to trail deer and boar).
Although the purchase cost and training fees of working dogs are non-deductible, the vet bills and pet food are deductible.