9 Unusual Work Deductions
- Adult industry workers can claim costumes, lingerie, fetish equipment, and adult novelties – if used solely for income earning purposes.
- Bar staff can claim a deduction for the cost of making up cash or bar shortages.
- Security guards can claim a deduction for food, veterinary expenses and registration costs of their guard dog.
- Performing artists can claim a deduction for theatre and films that that they see for research or work purposes.
- Police officers can claim for bulletproof jackets, vests, body armour and guns.
- Authors and editors can claim travel expenses incurred for research related travel or short writing trips.
- Chefs can claim a deduction for eating out at restaurants for research and work purposes.
- Employees who work outside can claim their makeup costs where the makeup includes a sun protection component.
- Police officers can claim payments made to informants including cash, food, and cigarettes (provided that the payments are authorised by the police service and not reimbursed.